Thursday, May 20, 2010

Officer Russell D. Spannagel

Officer Russell DeWayne Spannagel
San Antonio Police Department, TX
Born: August 27, 1948
Cause of Death: Gunfire
End of Watch: Saturday, June 30, 1973
Date of Incident: Saturday, June 30, 1973
Age: 24
Badge Number: 0811
Tour of Duty: 4 years
Suspect Info: Convicted of Manslaughter and released from prison
Weapon Used: Officer's service weapon .357 caliber revolver
Buried: Mission Park South
Location of Name on National and Texas Monuments
NLEOMF: P36 - W1
TPOM: 28, C, 16

Officer Spannagel responded to a call concerning a knifing at an ice house at the corner of Pleasanton and Hutchins around 9 pm. Upon arriving, Officer Spannagel learned that one of suspects had fled. Officer Spannagel proceeded to the suspect's home in the 500 block of Tidewinds. Officer Spannagel made contact with the suspect who got into a fight with the Officer Spannagel. The suspect was successful in wrestling Officer Spannagel's service weapon away, a .357 caliber service revolver. The suspect shot Officer Spannagel in the chest at point blank range. Before collapsing, Officer Spannagel made it to his patrol unit and reported over the radio "I've been shot!" Officer Spannagel succumbed to his wounds. The suspect was arrested at the scene with the gun still in his hand by responding officers. The man was convicted only of manslaughter and released from prison after serving only a few years.

Officer Spannagel was survived by his wife, his son, his daughter, parents, his two brothers who were Reverends and officiated at his burial, his two sisters, and grandparents. Officer Spannagel joined SAPD March 12, 1969. ----source San Antonio Express News

1 comment:

  1. Russell,

    It will be 39 yrs ago this month. Despite the heroics efforts of the South East Baptist E.R staff you died in that trauma room. The E.R doctor Crawford tried in vain and know they used all the blood the hospital had in there small blood bank. But your wiund was to great. The two officer Palanis and a detective drove you by car from the shooting. They arrived in about 10 mins. The E.R Staff waere all outside waiting for you. A sight no one will ever forget.